Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Name Change....Tell Me I'm Not Alone!!!

Good Morning All,

Well at least its morning when I'm starting to write my blog, who knows when it will actually get published.  It always seems like I can write my blog without any problem, but adding the pictures takes forever!  Granted my obsession with photos may play a part in that and my inability to decide which ones should make it....so I end up making tons of colleges to ensure they ALL make it!  I feel like those funny photos I see on Pinterest all the time.... "Pick ALL the Photos!".  Anyways.

First morning as a married couple. 
Yes I love seeing this ring on his finger! I can't help it!

Ok so we've been married for 44 days, and while I know the marriage experience is different for everyone, I kind of expected it to feel exactly the same once everyday life really settled in.  However at least for us it did feel different.  Not sure if it was seeing that ring on his finger (which I'm a total girl about, but I swoon every time I catch a glimpse of it), or if the fact that my name has changed (more on that craziness in a min), or if its the vows we took in front of God, our family and friends have really solidified us as a couple and changed us forever for the better.  No matter the exact reason at the end of the day I feel more complete, happier and more myself than I ever have.


But the name change thing is a little weird.  Yes I admit my maiden name was pretty darn cool... I mean seriously Chrystal Cathleen Watters....which on occasion I could kid with people that my name as Chrystal Clear Watters and with my love of the beach, ocean and sea life....its a pretty amazing match.  And since Matt and I have known each other since kindergarten he as always known me with that name, all my mail, my name in his phone and my name on all my social networks...all Chrystal Watters.  I can't say I had any real hesitation for changing my name, I mean its an honor to be accepted into the Kmiec family (more easily pronounced Ka-mitch), but letting go of something that has been a part of you for 30 yrs does cause for some emotion. 

Just Picked up our Marriage Licenses!

Yes Please!!

However if you have read my previous posts you understand what some of my life was like as a child and a part of me healed even more dropping the name associated with my biological father, and letting that all go to start over and begin my own family.  Ok enough of the sentimental rambling and on to the original reason I wanted to create this post....

Walking to turn in our Marriage Licenses.  Time to make it legit!
 

 
Guess this makes it official! Let the name changing begin!





Who is Chrystal Cathleen Kmiec? Seriously though changing my name has proved to be entirely comical to me and even Matt at times.  Becoming a Military Wife meant I needed to get a Military ID, I also needed to get a new CAC card for work (thankfully I could get at the same place and actually smile in this pic so it didn't look like a mug shot...bc my first photo for work was a disaster....seriously folks smile when getting your photos you will thank yourselves later), new drivers licenses, and new social security card and still need to update my concealed carry.  While it takes time, all of these were kind of fun.  I mean seeing my new name as officially documented and sharing the name of my husband was sweet, and the first piece of mail with my new name was equally as exciting.  However that is where the honeymoon phase of my new name ended.

I love this man, even if his last name may be the death of me...hehe JK JK!!
 
Sitting in the waiting room and hearing Mrs. (Ka-meek) or Mrs. (Ka-meck) or something that sounded like a sneeze....oh wait I'm not Watters guess that's not the name I'm listening for and crap nobody can pronounce my new name...wait am I even pronouncing it correctly (as I say it to myself a few times...I think I'm good).  So now in a waiting room or any appointment it takes awhile to know people are talking to you, and if its a difficult name to pronounce welcome to a new life of explaining how to pronounce it and what the origin is...learn this in advance so you don't look clueless like me!  The real fun is when you have to sign your new name, your first name...nailed it... new last name...why the freak does it look like I signed with my left hand...ugh!  And its even more fun when you are signing documents to actually change your name, because I was constantly asking which name am I supposed to be signing?  I was actually sitting in the Social Security Office with Matt waiting to change my name on my social security card, practice writing my new name like some school girl in High School, and clearly it wasn't enough practice.  All I can say is I still haven't nailed it and its changed a dozen times since, so in about a year or two if my signature ever comes into question I'm so going to jail.

Waiting at the Social Security Office to change my name!


Practicing my new signature while I wait.  Yes Matt is making
fun of me the whole time! I expect nothing less.

Aside from the signature I have found myself scrolling Facebook and seeing things I've shared but wondering who "Chrystal Kmiec" is and thinking briefly that we have the same taste in articles only to laugh at myself for realizing its me...(yeah I'm a dork, I'm fully aware).  But I'm not the only one, about a week after the wedding, I realized Matt still had me in his phone under my maiden name, and I jokingly toyed with him about it, he did end up changing it.  A few days later Matt told me it was weird for even him to see my name different in his hone.  Tell me I'm not the only one who has found their new name a little humerous to navigate at first!?!

However this is one thing I can get used to!


But I am excited to be Mrs.Kmiec, it is still surreal...I married the man of my dreams!  It seems like it is only something for movies and well other people.  And I should wish everyone a be-lated Happy Thanksgiving and Happy Beginning of December!   I'm so tired of hearing myself say..."Where does the time go!"....but seriously where??  However its my favorite time of the year so I'm not going to complain!

Seems as if we got a little fall for Thanksgiving!

And very shortly after a little Winter to follow.  So it works

So now that Marriage is out of the way what is next...

Bahaha I'll save addressing my thoughts on this in another blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment