Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Bucket List: Alaska

How many ways can we wish you a Happy New Year...a few

Happy January 7th and Happy New Year!  Admittedly there is nothing terribly special about today, I just wanted to take a moment before the sun comes up and I start working more on the house today to write a quick post.  Its funny how all day long I think up things to write and even think in terms of "blog posts" throughout the day but when it comes time to write I'm drawing a blank.

My favorite New Years Picture

I'm sure its customary to write a reflection blog or a resolution blog at the beginning of the year, however I'm not there just yet.  I did have a great New Years, went to bed early and walked on the beach with Matt for sunrise January 1st.  Other than that we worked on the house...all we do lately it seems.  Well Matt is great at getting me out of the house so I don't get overwhelmed and I'll write more of what we have been up to so far this year later on.

We found two starfish on two different days!

Well let me start by saying that I have challenged the hubby to a wellness challenge.  The challenge I was telling you about at work, is a 90day total transformation challenge, and while I will be just about to leave when it wraps up, I thought it would be more fun to challenge Matt.  We both have fitness goals we would like to reach before leaving, and we are both pretty competitive, so I knew he would accept the challenge...and bonus there will be less junk food in the house to temp me if he is serious about it...so its a win win. 

Nothing like a walk on the beach in the rain for sunrise last week to get me out of my funk.  This man knows
the way to my heart!

This week has turned into hardcore house preparation.  We are putting our house on the market hopefully sometime in the next two weeks and the de-cluttering process just might put me over the top.  Don't get me wrong I love going through stuff and downsizing, planning to carry less stuff makes me very happy.  However the disorganization of our house right now makes it so I can never truly relax.  Thankfully I have our craftroom/office that is completely done so I do have a little bit of solitude as long as I don't look out the door. 

One thing that is really stressing me (aside from trying to sell our house) is finding a place that I like in Alaska to live.  I have become a little too obsessed with AHRN's website looking at houses to rent, and the worst part is we are still too far out from moving to really get an idea of what will be available when we get there at the beginning of May.  It doesn't help that there is really no consistency with pricing that I can see, some newer 3bd 2ba homes are the same price as some 2bd 1ba homes that look very out dated and a little neglected, and the newer homes are few and far between.  And you have to watch out for those tricky "Dry Homes", which do not have an indoor toilet.  That's right you get to freeze in an outhouse at night...no thanks!  And you are welcome to anyone who planned to visit!

I have found that I am struggling a little more than I thought I would about saying goodbye to our house.  Granted I didn't help pick it out, Matt had bought the house a few months before I moved here, and I never really thought it would come to grow on me like it has.  We have so spent so much time getting it from a bachelor pad to a home, and now just after we are married I have to learn to part with it.  Trust me when I say these emotions are unexpected.  So to counter that, I have been trying to get excited about out next home, but that seems pretty much impossible so far out.  So instead I will share my mini woe's with you.  However before my moaning session gets out of hand I will re-direct to more exciting and positive thoughts.



Here is my Bucket List so far for Alaska:
In no particular order
(none of these photos are my own, if they belong to you please let me know and I will give you credit, or if you want me to remove any photos I will. I tried to find the sources for each photo and give credit where I could)

The Wheat Field



1) Pan for Gold
Travel Tips
 
2) Guided Segway tour of Fairbanks
Downtown Associations: Fairbanks
 
3) Chena Hot Springs
terragalleria.com
 
 
4) Record our Trip
Vimeo
This has been re-pinned so many times I can't find the Original Origin.
All Women's Talk
 
5)  Go Hiking
Original Origin Unknown
Angel Rock
Alaska.org

Hikers on Angel Rock
 
Granite Tors Trails
Alaska.org

All Trails
 
6) Visit Pioneer Park
Famous Wonders
 

Famous Wonders
 
7) Vist Musk Ox Farm
Musk Ox Farm
 
8) Go Ice Fishing
Original Origin Unknown

Original Origin Unknown
9) See Ice Art competition
Sculptures

4th Place World Ice Competition

USA Today
 
10) Kayak the Chena River
Lonely Planet

National Geographics
 
11) Visit the Ice Museum
Ice Museum


Ice Museum
 
 12) Play glow in the dark Mini Golf
Mini Golf

 
13) See Alaskan Pipeline
PBS
 
14) Photograph the Northern Lights
 
15) Visit Alaskan Railroad
Wild Nature Images
 
16) Visit Denali National Park
PBase

Wild Nature Images
 
17) See Santa at the North Pole
North Pole Santa
 
18) Live in the North Pole
Address North Pole, AK
 
19) Kayak near glaciers
Photography Atlas

Blaine Harrington Photography
 20) Photograph sled dogs
Dog Sledding
 
21) Go skiing
Liftopia
 
22) Visit the Arctic Circle
Alaska Denali Travel
Travel Alaska
 
23) Take a Whale boat tour
Crossinglandnatur

 
WE12Travel
 
Or just go on a Whale Watching Kayak trip...even better!! Yes Please!

24) Go camping in the mountains
Markus Pouch
 
25) Build an Igloo
How To...
 
26) Build lots of Snowmen
 
 
27) Drive a snowmobile
Wilderness Collective
 
28) Go hunting
Hunting Alaska
Big Game
 
29) Photograph an Ice Cave
Mendenhall Ice Caves, Juneau, Alaska
 
Ice Caves not Alaska though
30) Photograph Animals
Moose
Moose Painting
Alaskan Wildlife Conservation
 Seal
Harbor Seals in Alaska
 
 
 Polar Bear
Fine Art America
 
Black Bear
Origin Unknown
 
31) Learn to fly fish
Louis Bellin photography
Cabins For Everyone
 
32) Learn to tie my own lures
How to...
 
DIY...yes please
33) Go Dog Sledding
 
Can't wait to try this...with a guide of course!
 
34) Go Salmon Fishing
Original Origin Unknown: But I have seen this photo dozens of times.
 
35) See Reindeer 
 
 
 
While we still have almost 4 months before we make the long trip to Alaska, and we have so much to do to even get ready to leave, I am still adding to my bucket list.  Alaska is such a huge state with so much to do.  I know I will have fun photographing and recording so much of it.  And I can't wait to share with everyone each one of these things, and even things I didn't expect.

3 comments:

  1. This is a fantastic list. Will be moving to Fort Wainright, AK in summer of 2016 and am definitely using this list as my guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been quietly planning our move from Ohio to Alaska. Do you know where you are planning? We are looking somewhere along the Kenai Peninsula (hopefully Homer area). I just wanted to tell you how much I relate to all your thoughts on making this big move.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm headed to Fort Wainwright soon, too. This is a great list! So excited!

    ReplyDelete